This article may contain outdated information that is inaccurate for the current version of the game. It was last updated for 1.12.
- +10% Infantry combat ability
- -10% Idea cost
- -10% Cost of reducing war exhaustion
- +1 Yearly legitimacy
- +10% Manpower recovery speed
- +10% Morale of armies
- +10% National tax modifier
- +10% Production efficiency
- +20% Spy offense
- +25% National manpower modifier
The Aztec are a country located in Central Mexico. It is also the primary nation of the Aztec culture.
- Main article: Aztec events
There is a group of events dealing with Altepetls revolts that fires cyclically and forces the player to deal with the danger of revolts. Other events concern some flavour aspects of Aztec nations, granting four permanent modifiers (first one is mandatory, others are optional):
- Great Temple of Tenochtitlan:
- Sumptuary Laws:
- Influence of Texcoco:
- Laws of Nezahualcoyotl:
This section may contain outdated information that is inaccurate for the current version of the game. The last version it was verified as up to date for was 1.10.
The Aztecs have as traditions positive modifiers in the infantry combat ability and idea cost. But as many Mesoamerican nations they have Mesoamerican technology group which has a penalty of +150% technology cost making very difficult to get any kind of technology. The only thing that helps to the Aztecs in this situation (before Westernisation) are the great skills of its rulers that generate tons and tons of monarch points.
Even though this little advantages the penalty of technology cost makes only possible for a primitive civilization like this to get at the level 10 of each technology group. In the case of the Administrative technology, the Aztecs only could unlock three Ideas slots. The recommended ideas are listed below:
- Expansion: This will help to expand faster in the American continent and will grant permanent Casus Belli against Chinese, Indian and African civilizations. The last thing, if in a future, the country westernise and decides to expand outside the American continent.
- Administrative: The core-creation is useful when its trying to expand the territory by conquests or colonization. Also the boni in the maintenance and recruitment of mercenaries are useful in cases, just like in the process of westernisation and European invasions.
- Exploration: Useful to discover the rest of American civilizations or Europeans colonies in the continent. Also lets another opportunity for expanding in the country and will grant permanent Causus Belli against primitives, in the case the westernization has finished.
- Aristocratic: Its useful before and after the arrival of the Europeans. First because in case of an European victory in Aztecs territory would be difficult for them create cores in the lost territory. Also the manpower modifier is useful for the creation of bigger armies against the technological advantage of the foreigners. And reduces the military technology cost.
- Defensive: At the arrival of the Europeans, the fort defense modifier, reinforce speed, land maintenance modifier and more attrition for enemies are the greatest options to resist their invasion.
- Quantity: In combat with a more advanced army the best option is to have a larger army. The manpower modifier and recovery speed increased will make easier to fight against the Europeans.
Reformation of the religion
With El Dorado the Nahuatl religion has the Doom mechanic whose effects results in total chaos for the country if it reaches the 100. The only ways for reducing the Doom is by doing Floral Wars or sacrificing kings of subject nations. To start reforming the religion they need to enact reforms. The Aztecs can enact them by having 5 vassals, no rebels, positive stability and less than 50 Doom.
The first thing to do is to start the vassalage of the closest nations. Using their military advantage start the conquest with their closest enemies, just like Tlaxcala, Zapotec, Mixtec, Tarascan and Tlapanec for examples. Also the Aztecs can ally with other countries like Itza, Colima and Kiche. The perfect Causus Belli for starting the conquest is the Flower Wars which not only helps reducing Doom it also can makes demanding vassalisation easier, but it makes more difficult annexing enemy provinces.
The benefits of the reforms are listed below:
- Monthly war exhaustion: -0.05
- Diplomatic relations: +1
- Discipline: +5%
- Colonist: +1
- Stability cost modifier: -20%
Expansion and Colonization in America
While the reformation of the Nahuatl religion happens, the expansion of the glorious Aztec empire into all the American continent can begin. It can be done by conquering and annexing all the Mesoamerican countries that are around the Aztecs. But also, thanks to the fourth reform, they have access to a Colonist that can be used for expanding the empire to the north or the south. The south can be only able for colonization when the conquest of the southern nations in Mesoamerica has finished.
The north has many opportunities just like the rest of the Mexican territory, the Californian land or the Floride. All of this are good in their way but the south has its own advantages. While the north have many useful land and many weak, or at least small, native nations to conquer or if starting the westernisation is a priority, is easier to colonize the south because the Portuguese and Spanish powers are the first to colonize the New World by starting with the southern part of the continent. The main problem is that some of the southern nations are so powerful as the Aztecs.
One strategy is to save all the monarch points available, but at the same time investing them in Administrative and Military Technology and get the Ideas Groups and be in technology advantage against the rest of the native nations. The colonization is an useful tactic because it helps to find faster the Europeans colonies and start the westernisation .
Be careful when the process starts because when it begins it not only makes the stability drops to -3 it also increase the revolt risk and it will trigger many events, just like rebels, which can drive the country into a chaos if the correct decisions are not made. The problem is that if the westernisation begins in a bad moment or too late other countries would use this as an opportunity for breaking the territory and conquer many provinces with relative facility. The best moment for start the westernisation is when the colonial provinces are very small and the metropolis is distracted by any war in their home continent. After westernisation has finished, invest all the monarch points in improving the Military and Naval Technology.
Dealing with the Europeans
If an encounter with the Europeans is inevitable before starting or finishing the Westernisation these are some tips that can help to survive a war against them:
- Have full manpower.
- Stockpile money for mercenaries if they are required.
- Take loans if its necessary
- Choose Defensive or Aristocratic ideas.
- Ally with other powerful native nations or with European nations that are rivals or enemies of those who are more probable to attack first.
- Construct defensive buildings in strategic locations.
In the case that the war is going in a bad way and the enemy has occupied many of the territory the only thing that can be done is to negotiate with him. The best offer is to accept the defeat, give all the money that he wants and only give him two or three minor provinces (or the necessaries).
If the process has finished the first thing to do is to invest all monarch points in technology and ideas and fight with equal opportunities against the European nations. Even after westernisation, several great powers will try to conquer the Aztec's territories. The best way to protect from the colonizing nations is allying with another great European power that is not interested in colonization, for example Austria, Ottomans or Burgundy.
Domination of Asia
After the westernization has finished and the boats techonoly is available, its possibly to start a trade empire in the East. The Aztecs are in a very favorable situation by being in the American continent because Asia is just an ocean of distance. After the Expansion Ideas group totally finished the causus belli against the Chinese, Indian and will be granted and that will make so much easier to start the colonization against those inferior kingdoms. But before is more reasonable to start the colonization of the nearest island, an obvious option: the Philippines. After the colonization of the Philippines are many other valid options. For exampl: many other minor islands in the Pacific, the Polynesian islands and even the colonization of Australia. It doesn´t matter the way to start first but the case is to have an opportunity to begin making claims in all the coast of the Asian region. By this point there would be many major powers in Asia. For example: the Mings, the Dai Vet, even Korea or Japan are included. After the process has been complete or in more of the half, the conquest of the Indian peninsula can be considered as an option.