| This article or section does not follow the wiki's style guidelines and may need to be rewritten in part or entirely.
Please help us improve this article. See the talk page for a summary of required changes
- +10% Morale of armies
- +30% Better relations over time
- +10% Imperial Authority
- −15% Diplomatic annexation cost
- −10% Fort maintenance
- +15% National garrison growth
- +0.05 Yearly inflation reduction
- −1 Interest per annum
- +2 Diplomatic reputation
- +2% Missionary strength
- +1 Diplomatic relations
- +30% Reinforce speed
- +3% Discipline
- +50% Chance of new heir
Austria starts the game as the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. It is up to the Emperor of the traditionally fractious German HRE states to unify the Empire as the famous Habsburgs and stake their claim on history as a world power.
Austria is present in Central Europe, bordered by Bohemia and minor German states to the north and west, Hungary to the east and Venice to the south. They also start with an army of 37,000 troops, the largest army in Europe.
The Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire may be called into defensive wars against outside aggressors, and are also tasked with maintaining order in the empire and enforcing religious unity.
- 1 Missions
- 2 Events
- 3 Reformation
- 4 Holy Roman Emperor Strategy
- 5 Idea groups
- 6 Achievements
- Main article: Austrian missions
Austrian missions are focused around uniting the Habsburg lands and uniting the Holy Roman Empire.
- Main article: Austrian events
Austria's events deal with Austro-Bohemian relations, instability in Austria's holdings in Hungary, famous people of the time period such as Mozart and Metternich, and the Italian Wars.
This section may contain outdated information that is inaccurate for the current version of the game. The last version it was verified as up to date for was 1.14.
Styria can form Austria if Austria no longer exists.
This infobox may contain outdated information that is inaccurate for the current version of the game. The last version it was verified as up to date for was 1.14.
By uniting the Leopoldian and Albertinian lines of the house of Habsburg we will once again assert our influence over European politics and secure our place as the most prestigious member of the Holy Roman Empire.
Holy Roman Emperor Strategy
Playing Austria is very different from most other nations in the game and therefore could offer a unique experience. Austria must retain the title of Holy Roman Emperor in order to maintain their might as a continental power, which means playing the diplomacy and imperial authority game within the HRE. Thankfully, Austria's national ideas easily form the best set of diplomatic ideas in the game. Maintaining allies is also essential as all of Austria's major opponents (particularly France and the Ottomans) have superior military-oriented ideas.
As a note, economically Austria is relatively weak in trade due to its home trade node being the inland node of Wien. However Austria is unique in that it has one of the few gold mines in Europe (Tirol) and starts out as Emperor with 8 free cities providing a 20 ducat bonus as taxes per year.
- with more princes in the HRE +0.004 per prince over 25
- up to 8 free cities +0.005 per city
- peace in the empire +0.10
- heretic princes -.01 per prince
- electors that are vassals or missing electors -0.1 (this does not include personal unions, however there is a -50 penalty in elections
Other mechanics can be seen at Holy Roman Empire.
As an overview, to effectively secure the Holy Roman Empire mechanics Austria should:
- keep princes catholic (Enforce Religious Unity after the religious wars, Deus Vault religious ideas for border nations).
- add princes where possible through demanding unlawful territory or war (the first reform allowing the Imperial Ban casus belli is helpful)
Minimizing the Reformation
To accomplish the first goal it may be helpful to let one province countries like Friesland or Oldenburg be annexed by larger countries to prevent centers of reformation and religious rebels from instantly converting princes.
Having Deus Vult in Relgious ideas will allow the Cleansing of Heresy casus belli on neighboring heretical nations to force a religion change.
Reign in Northern Italy
The second goal can be accomplished by preventing the Shadow Kingdom and must be completed before 1490.
To prevent the Shadow Kingdom and utilizing the Rein in Northern Italy decision requires that the listed provinces be under Austria through direct or indirect ownership.
|Venice||Treviso, Friuli, and Verona|
|The Papal State||Romanga, Ancona, Umbria, and Roma|
Successful completion of the Reign in Northern Italy decision adds all the listed provinces in to the HRE and depending up to 0.012 Imperial Authority per month if the released nation of Aquileia (Friuli and Görz), Urbino and The Papal State are made into vassals.
- As a note Venice controls the Milan core province of Bresica resulting in a penalty of 0.005 Imperial Authority per month.
- If the province of Dalmatia Venice is brought under control, added to the Empire and Croatia released this will provide a bonus of 0.004 Imperial Authority per month and reconquest of core casus Belli for Lika, Zágráb, Varasd, and Slavonia against Hungary.
- Net change +0.021 Imperial Authority per month can be gained by all the above actions.
|Burgundy||Cambray, Hainaut, Namur, Luxemburg, and French-Comté||Hainaut with Cambray, Hainut, and Namur Luxembourg with Luxemburg|
|Holland||Zeeland and Holland||none|
|Brabant||Brabant, Antwerpen, Breda, and Limburg||none|
The strategies behind dealing with Burgundy should have in mind keeping Imperial territory in Empire hands and protected from France and England. The strategy can be started from Sundgau via fabrication or a rival conquest mission. Ways to pull apart Burgundy include:
- Forcing Burgundy to move their capital by annexing Bourgogne through French-Comté. Burgundy may move their capital into Imperial territory automatically forcing Brabant and Holland back into Imperial arms. (this is greatly increased by having Picardie and Artois in another nations hands France has missions and England generally fabricates claims. Up to an increase +0.012 Imperial Authority per month from princes and a removal of -0.055 from territory under the control of non-members (net change +0.067 Imperial Authority per month).
- At least three wars releasing Hainaut, Luxembourg, cancelling the subjects of Holland, Brabant and reclaiming French-Comté. Up to an increase of +0.016 and a removal of -0.055 Imperial Authority per month from territory under the control of non-members (net change +0.071 Imperial Authority per month).
- through the Burgundian Succession Crisis (a luck based event) which can give direct control over the territories of
|Burgundy||Cambray, Hainaut, Namur, Luxemburg, and French-Comté|
|Holland||Zeeland, and Holland|
|Brabant||Brabant, Antwerpen, Breda and Limburg|
|Flanders||Vlandereen and Gent|
This provides no increase in Imperial Authority as no new nations are released into the Empire. However, the action removes of -0.055 from territory under the control of non-members (net change +0.055 Imperial Authority per month).. Note though that France will generally receive control of the listed provinces.
|Burgundy||Bourgogne, Picardie, Artois and Charolais|
|Nevers||Nevers and Rethel|
Provence at the start is the suzerain of Lorraine (Metz and Lothringen) and controls the Imperial territory of Barrois for a penalty of -0.015 Imperial Authority per month. Lothringen can be fabricated on by Austria from Sundgau. A war releasing Bar (Barrois) and canceling suzerainty of Lorraine will yield an increase of +0.008 per month from the increase in the number of princes and removal of -0.015 Imperial Authority per month penalty (net change +0.023 Imperial Authority per month).
Territories under Teutonic Order
Neumark a core of Brandenburg starts under Teutonic Order control at the start for a penalty of per -0.005 Imperial Authority per month. Early on there is no direct way for Austria to take the province back. However, allying Poland or Brandenburg as both go to war with the Teutonic Order early. This may enable reclaiming of Neumark and potentially adding Danzig to the Empire. The net change is up to +0.09 for both actions and a denial of Poland's ability to westernize.
Alternatively if the first Imperial Reform is passed and Neumark still has not come back into Empire the Imperial ban casus belli may be used to secure Neumark.
Diplomatic or Influence are strong contenders for first idea group due to the importance of holding onto the Holy Roman Emperor title. Both grant an +1 diplomatic relations and +2 diplomatic reputation (+10 modifier for elections and +5 per point for supporting Empire reforms). Influence is enables faster expansion due to reduced aggressive expansion (-20% and reduced diplomatic annexation costs (-25%. Diplomacy however, may have better events (including one that could give +5 Imperial Authority), better improved relations (+25%, free royal marriage breaking (from -1 stability and -1 prestige).
Offensive or Defensive are both helpful to Austria as a major land power that must repel hostile invasions on the HRE. Offensive is slightly more useful due to the need to wage many small wars within the HRE to free annexed states as improved siege decreases the length of siege times +20% and provides a larger force limit +20% to win battles against the French, Ottoman or Polish armies.
Religious or Humanism may be essential by the third idea group in order to counter the heretics during the Reformation. It is in the Emperor's interest to remain Catholic and convert Protestant/Reformed princes back to Catholicism which makes Religious a strong choice. However, if the Reformation starts right next to or within Austria, Humanism may be necessary to prevent the religious turmoil disaster. Alternative, the Religious-Offensive policy (Anti-Heresy Act) offers a powerful bonus (+20% Religious Unity, +3% Missionary Strength vs Heretic) for a -1 monarch point upkeep cost.