This article may contain outdated information that is inaccurate for the current version of the game. It was last updated for 1.7.
- +10% Galley combat ability
- +10% National trade income modifier
- -25% Mercenary cost
- -25% Galley cost
- +20% Trade steering
- -10% Stability cost modifier
- +20% Global trade power
- -15% Reduce inflation cost
- +10% Morale of armies
- -10% Culture conversion cost
Aragon is a country that borders France and Castile and is in a personal union with Naples. It, with Castile, can form the formable country of Spain. Their culture is Catalan (Iberian), or Catalonian, and their religion is Catholic.
- Main article: Aragonese missions
Aragon's missions mostly center around holding onto their Mediterranean holdings, but also include some interesting quests that might amuse a Lord of the Rings fan.
- Main article: Aragonese events
Aragon's events focus on various significant events in their history.
Global expansion in newly discovered areas and the establishment of colonies is transforming Spain into one of the most powerful and wealthiest nations of our time. Spanish explorers are constantly moving into new territories and extending our borders. Immense amounts of gold and silver are being brought back to our motherland, filling the coffers of our state Treasury.
Aragon is an interesting choice, and an uncommon one as the Iberian choices of Castille and Portugal are usually heavily favored. Castille is your main threat, Spanish ambitions have them working to absorb you into a common Spanish state. France is warmongering to your north and the Berber countries are waiting to strike in the south. France is very hard to defeat while the Berber countries are very big nuisance as you deal with affairs in the Iberian Peninsula.
An alliance with France is useful for two reasons. Firstly, it gets rid of the secondary threat of France expanding her Southern border. The alliance also doesn't bring much risk to Aragon, as Aragon is hidden behind France from European threats (and France will drag Aragon into wars). As for Castille, Aragon's primary concern, France is a powerful ally that can keep Castille at bay. A Portuguese alliance may not be a bad idea, especially if Aragon intends to expand into Castille, but most times, an ally who isn't involved in Iberian politics is a good idea.
The Mediterranean islands are useful for developing a strong navy and trade presence. Sicily and Sardinia are good choices. Navarre is an easy choice on land, and should be taken before France or Castille get to it. After developing this far, Aragon will notice a lack of good missions, and Aragon will only be a middle-level European power. The next options depend greatly on your unique situation.
- Capture North African cities! At least those that give the trigger "Barbary Pirates" for Iberian cultures. This will propel Aragon farther into a powerful naval force. This also allows for an African campaign if Aragon wants to wage crusades into Muslim territory.
- If Aragon can find Castille in a weak spot, try to exploit it. Diplomacy may be a good idea for Aragon if you don't have Wealth of Nations. If Aragon wants a strong personal union, try to royal marry whoever Aragon wants to change their dynasty.
- Portugal will like you if they aren't getting along with Castille.
- Italian ambitions, or other islands. Don't be afraid to exploit a weak Venice or Naples. Crete, Malta, Sicily and other Italian/Mediterranean states offer excellent opportunities to expand trade and naval power. Don't forget to ensure France stays on Aragon's side as you enter Central European politics.
Have fun! Aragon isn't well defined, so choose Aragon's own destiny. If Aragon conquers the parts of Iberia needed for Spain and forms Spain, get ready to colonize, if Aragon gets in Europe have fun with the complex politics. A trading titan will want to be involved with Kaffa and Alexandria. Try to plan ahead with Aragon's idea groups.
Take the mission to vassalize Navarra immediately and use the casus belli to get Navarra as their vassal. This prevents Castille from getting Navarra. Remember to culture convert unaccepted cultures. After you finished these missions, attack France if it is still in the Hundred Year War. If not, wait for a good time to strike such as when Castille and Austria are at war with France. Get Austria as your ally and try to get Portugal as an ally. This is will scare away Castille and prevent them from attacking you. By this time, you should've had finished culture converting unaccepted provinces, annexed Navarra, built an army up to your force limit, and fabricated a claim on a French province. Then declare war. Defend in the Pyrenees if the French send their army to attack you which they shouldn't if their involved in a war with another power. Once you've crushed their army, siege out their southern provinces but keep a hunter-killer army to kill small groups of French units. Work your way up France and in the peace deal, take three or four provinces. Repeat this until France is very weak (don't forget to culture convert). You should've maxed out relations with Austria.
Currently, you should be so strong that Castille is far weaker than you. This is good and if you played your cards right, Austria likes you way better than Castille which the AI usually allies with. That means you can declare war on Castille and Austria will join your side. This time, be a warmonger and take as many provinces as you can and try to get them to annul treaties with Austria and release Galicia and Granada. Do this one more time and don't culture convert, they're in your culture group. Now, hopefully you have the provinces to make Spain, if not go to war with Castille one more time or two or three. Now form Spain. Now you use the strategy which Spain would've used which is to win the colonialism race. Don't forget to integrate Naples!
Aragon should be a major naval and colonial power yet they should not forget their military or economy.
- Economic ideas should be the first idea you take to support your economy and ready for colonialism, also it adds a nice boost to your income which is vital in war.
- Exploration ideas should be the second idea group you take. Colonize an African province and aim for North America. Competition is not as fierce there, Try to clock off any other power. Colonize Asia after getting the coastal provinces of North America. Then colonize the interior of North America.
- Expansion ideas are great for the added boost to trade, colonialism, and ability to diplo-vassalize nations.
- Take either Naval or Quality ideas. I would opt for the quality ideas since it helps both the army and the navy.
- Its your choice now, the world is in the palm of your hand now if you handled your cards right.